The park can be accessed by these airlines Regional Express and Qantas and
Dubbo Airport – 150kms – Qantas and Regional Express
Tamworth Airport – 220kms – Qantas and Virgin Australia
Coonabarabran also has an airport, should you wish to arrive by private aircraft.
Driving through the Warrumbungle region is easy and provides ample opportunity to visit the three surrounding National Parks.
Petrol Station Locations
It is good to know where to fill up your car with petrol if you are planning on a road trip around the region.
• Coonabarabran – Shell Service Station located near the visitors centre.
• Gilgandra – BP, Shell, Caltex and United Petroleum operate in town
• Coonamble – Shell and Caltex
Driving around the region is easy and hard to get lost, but visitors should be aware of the Australian road rules. Year round, kangaroos on the roads can be hazardous and can quickly destroy your holiday. Watch out at sunsets and sunrises, when they are particularly active and unpredictable.
Driving times and distances
Approximate driving times in the Warrumbungle region:
- 90 minutes Dubbo – Coonabarabran
- 70 minutes Coonabarabran – Gilgandra
- 25 minutes Coonabarabran – Siding Spring Observatory
- 35 minutes Coonabarabran – Warrumbungle Visitors Centre
The regional train service, XPT, operates daily services in to Dubbo. Gunnedah is also serviced by trains and is a 90 minute (150km) drive to the park.